Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Even the Best Laid Plans...

...don't always work out. 

I decided this week that I would make a serious effort to cook dinner as many nights as possible this week.  The past few weeks I've started off well, but don't cook at all after Tuesday.  Since Basketball season is a mere 7 weeks away (which will effectively end my cooking dinner for several months) I wanted to be all wifely and stuff and make dinner for Eric.  So far this week I am 2 for 2, with ingredients AND plans to continue for at least another 2 days--I don't cook on football Fridays because Eric eats pre-game with the team, so I get to treat myself to whatever I want. =)

But, my culinary success this week almost was not. Monday night I was shredding cheese with my KitchenAid mixer (best cheese shredding invention ever) and while I was washing the attachments the water went from a steady stream to a trickle.  CRAP.  I started running around the house like a crazy person checking all of the faucets and hose connections looking for a leak.  I just knew I was going to go into the shed to find water spraying out in all directions from a busted pipe. Luckily it was not just our problem as I soon found out many of our neighbors were having the same trouble.  After an emergency call to the Water Works Dept (which I am pretty sure was just the guy on call's cell phone #--small town life), the water was back to normal an hour later. By that time it was 7:30PM, and I wanted to go get 1220 Cafe decided to stick to my plans and made some chicken tacos. Bam: 1 for 1.

Day 2 almost ended up a bust as well.  I had plans for cooking a pork roast in the oven (I am gone too long during the day and we eat way to late at night to use the crock pot during the week). After my run I took the boys for a walk, but did not think to throw the roast in the oven since I was sure it would only take 30 mins or so to cook and Eric was still at least an hour away from coming home. I get back from my walk pull the roast out of the fridge only to see that it will take 65-75 mins to cook....CRAP. Back in the fridge it went.  I quickly swapped that dinner plan with my plans for Weds, and we had a delicious dinner! Bam Bam: 2 for 2.  I am on a roll. 

Not the best pic but it was so so good.
We had Chicken and Mushrooms in Garlic White Wine Sauce and Zucchini Boats with Tomatoes and Mozzarella.  The chicken recipe is one of my absolute favorites from Skinny Taste.  I highly recommend it and any of her other recipes.

I have big plans for my lil pork roast tonight.  Hopefully I won't over cook it.....We'll see!

The boys had a special dinner last night, too.  99% of the time they eat dry dog food, but once a year on one or the other's birthday they get wet dog food.  Partly because I refuse to purchase it because there are 2 of them. Did you know that the cans recommend 1.75 cans of food per 15 lbs of dog PER DAY.  Are you kidding me?  That would mean Hawk would need 10 cans of it EACH DAY....no sir, and Peanut's chunky little self surely does not need more than the 1/2 can that he got last night. The other reason I don't give it to them is the smell. That stuff stinks...but they LOVE it. Case in point....can you see the look in Peanut's eye while he's eating?  Priceless!


They both thoroughly enjoyed their dinner and were comatose about 15 mins later. Puppy dog birthday dinner was a success!

No comments: