Friday, May 13, 2011

CRIM 2011

While we have not officially registered for the CRIM, yet we are officially going to be in MI for CRIM weekend.   We have our tickets booked and as soon as I get around to it we will be officially registered for it.

What is the CRIM?  Why it is the Coolest Race In Michigan!    It is a 10 mile race through downtown Flint, MI.  Mom started running it when they moved there and a couple of years ago I decided to run it with her (if she can do it, surely I can, right?).  I thought that I would have an advantage running in the heat all summer.  To my surprise, it was 55 and misty when the race started that morning.  It was without a doubt the coldest run I had done that summer (did I mention it was AUGUST!?!).  I finished under my goal time of 2 hours (by 3 minutes) and was pleased. Nevermind that my knees felt like someone was hitting them with a hammer the rest of the day :-)  [So why did I decide to do this again?]   The race itself is a blast.  The route goes through downtown Flint, the U of M Flint campus as well as neighborhoods.  People literally line the entire race route cheering the runners on; bands set up and play along the route; and in addition to water stations there is a beer station and a Krispy Kreme Doughnut station along the way!

 I am only smiling at this point because I can see the finish line!

I am looking forward to the race, if nothing else it will get me back in shape.  I was in the best shape I have ever been in that summer and have since slacked off .  I am excited that Eric is going to run it this year, too.  Part of the reason I ran it last time was because he was in Kuwait for a tour with the Air Force Reserves, and I figured running would be a great way for me to release some of my stress and anxiety with him being over there.  I have already accepted the fact that he is going to beat me, but it will still be fun to train together.  

Mom and I after the race with our medals. Yes I was still FREEZING.

I guess this means I need to get out and run this weekend!

1 comment:

CJ said...

I can't wait, I started training this weekend. Yipppeeeee!