Thursday, September 8, 2011

Chicken Wire Earring Holder Frame

I have a lot of projects that I want to do in the back of my head, and every once in a while I run across the right materials to make these projects a reality.  I have wanted to make an earring holder out of an old picture frame and chicken wire for quite a while now, but never had the right frame.  When I was at my parents' house a couple of weeks ago, mom and I got up in the attic to look through some of her old frames and found the prefect frame for my earring holder!  It also has sentimental value because the frame hung in my mom's bedroom when she was a little girl, which makes it extra special.


 Here's how I made it:

What you need:
an old picture frame (just the frame, no glass)
sand paper
spray paint
chicken wire (enough to cover the frame opening)
staple gun
thick tape (I used Gorilla Tape)
picture hanging kit (aka nails, a hammer and wire)

Step 1 
Find an old decorative picture frame.  I found my in my parents' attic but there are tons of old frames at thrift stores, Goodwill and antique stores.   Sand down any nicks or imperfections in the frame.



Step 2
Cut a piece of chicken wire that covers the entire frame opening.   Using a staple gun, attach the chicken wire to the back of the frame, leaving the excess chicken wire so you have something to hold onto as you spray paint it (the excess will be trimmed later).



Step 3
Paint the front side of the frame.  Because my frame had a lot of detail I used spray paint.



Step 4
Allow the frame to dry, and spray paint it again (to ensure complete coverage).


Step 5
Trim excess chicken wire. Hang on the wall and add your earrings!


Because my mom had some chicken wire up in the attic, and because I used a spray paint that they had lying around the house from another project.  This project cost me absolutely nothing!  Those are always my favorite kinds of projects!




1 comment:

Vicky @ Mess For Less said...

That came out great. Love that you found the frame in your parent's attic. What a wonderful functional piece.

I am a new follower from the Tuesday Time Out Hop. If you have a moment, come by www.messforless.net and say hi!
Thanks!