Friday, September 9, 2011

Cool Running

I am a certainly a fair-weather runner, and tend to enjoy running a whole lot more when it is cooler outside--Hence the reason I wait until about 45 minutes before the sun goes down to run outside in the summertime.  I have always preferred running outside to running on the treadmill for whatever reason.  I think I just love the fresh air!

I have been a huge slacker the last month or so with my running.  I could blame it on the heat (but we have a treadmill) or that our schedules have gotten really busy (I still manage to watch tv almost everyday), but really it comes down to the fact that I have not gotten off my lazy butt and moved.  I decided to change my slacking habits yesterday.  I will be totally honest that the weather was the #1 factor in my change in habits.

I started with a 1.75 mile walk during my work break.  I have a friend at work who I walked with this spring.  It was great exercise and a much needed mid-afternoon break for us.  We have the entire downtown area to utilize, so  we can walk tons of different paths through different areas, with hills (or not).  It has been waaaaay too hot to walk the past 4 months, and we don't want to offend our co-workers with our smell after a super hot walk. Since we have not been able to go and we were sooo excited to venture out yesterday.  

When I got home last night it was absolutely gorgeous!  The puppy dogs knew it, too.  They had been cooped up in the house all day so they were full of energy and ready to play.  I decided to take them on a walk.  They usually just get to play in the backyard because they can get a little rowdy on walks, plus little Peanut's legs get tired so he doesn't like to walk as much as Hawk does.  We took a nice long walk around the neighborhood, and after I put them in the house, I decided I needed to keep going.  So I put in another 3 laps (2+ miles).  I could should have done more but it was getting dark.  I could hear the boys whining from inside the house from the street, so I ended my run and let them play outside until it got dark.  

I REALLY REALLY REALLY hope this awesome fall weather sticks around and that we are done with hot summer temps for the year because I would really enjoy getting back into a running routine!


Love this!  via

No comments: