Friday, March 23, 2012

Ma Nouvelle Belle Voiture

If you speak French you already know what this post is about.  If you don't keep reading! =)

My beloved Gracie (yes I name my cars) and I have been together for 6 years, since I was a junior in college.  We've been through several moves and many many many miles. I managed to put 130,000 miles on her in a mere 6 years, and she broke the 150,000 mile barrier at the beginning of 2012. As much as I did not want to, we had to start thinking about trading her in because if we waited 6 months or a year then she would surely hit the 200K mile mark and then we would get next to nothing for her on a trade in.

my faithful companion, Gracie
When it comes to cars I think it would be easier if someone said you've maxed out your miles on this one, so here's your next one! I am useless when it comes to making decisions about cars. We test drove a few different cars at a dealership in town (Taurus-bad gas mileage, Fusion-not big enough, Milan-did not like the interior look), and I was not too interested in any of them.  We left the dealership and I had convinced myself that I was just not ready for a new car.  We talked about it that night and I promised Eric I'd go back to the dealership and test drive the Milan again the next day just to make sure that it was not the car for me.

He called me the next day while I was at work and said he'd seen another car he wanted me to look at.  Since my dad came in town that afternoon, he went with me. We stopped at the used car lot to test drive the car Eric saw that morning and all of a sudden the clouds parted, the sun shone down and the angels sang.  I found my car!  The ONLY car that could replace my beloved Gracie, or so I thought. Upon further inspection, Eric found several cosmetic things wrong with it and apparently it shook when you hit the breaks.  Minor details, right?  I knew that it was pretty and I wanted it.

Since we could not get that one we found ourselves at the nearest Hyundai dealership and  we now have this nouvelle belle voiture!  AKA my pretty new car!

I'd like to introduce Sammie the Sonata!  Isn't she gorgeous!?  I must admit that one of the reasons I love her so much is because she is just like Gracie, just upgraded! My favorite feature is the built-in bluetooth.  I am sure people think I am nuts as I drive down the road with no phone in hand talking away, but I think it's fantastic! I have a 40 minute commute so it makes the trip go by much faster if I can spend it talking to someone.

My second most favorite thing is the gas mileage this car gets.  It's amazing!  I drive 350 miles a week (70 miles round trip everyday), so a car that averages 34 miles per gallon on the highway is a win!
These were the stats on this tank of gas when I got home from work. Almost 500 per tank (or more!)?!?!?  That's amazing!  I used to have to fill up at least once a week in Gracie, and that was if I did not drive any where else after I came home from work. This is going to save my shopping fund  wallet some major bucks!


I have been experimenting to see how good of mileage I can get.  I had it up to 40 miles per gallon the other day, with my cruise set on 60mph....I could not believe it.  I am actually excited to fill my gas tank up to see exactly what my mileage is, however, it will be next week before I have to do that!

The only problem I forsee with this new car is keeping it clean.  Since I spend so much time in my car I have a really hard time keeping it clean.  I had four bags of stuff that I cleaned out of Gracie, seriously.  Not to mention I have to drive through the country and that white paint is a bug magnet.  I promised Eric I would take care of Sammie (wash her and vacuum her out on a regular basis--ug!  Isn't that a husband job?), and I must admit she is so pretty when she is clean!  I just hope I don't go too far overboard with keeping her clean.  I am almost ashamed to admit this, but I have wiped the front of her down every day this week with a  clorox wipe after I've come home from work to get the bugs off.  And yesterday I wiped my entire car down with clorox wipes because it rained and dirt had spattered on her.  I know it's not going to last but I am trying really hard, and I know it's going to drive me crazy when she starts getting really dirty.

Cleaning aside I am really excited about my pretty new car!  I feel like the luckiest girl in the world!  We were laughing with my dad because 6 years ago when I got Gracie, my dad was down for a visit, and he just happened to be in town when we got Sammie.  I guess he's good luck when it comes to finding the perfect car for me!

No comments: