Thursday, June 7, 2012

My First Quinoa Dish: Quinoa with Feta, Cucumbers, and Sun-dried Tomatoes


Hungry yet?  This was our dinner the other night fried red snapper (that was caught this past weekend) that was marinated in Red Hot Sauce, Asparagus with Dijon Vinaigrette, and a quinoa dish (with a lil piece of baguette to sop up the overflow Dijon vinaigrette).

In my search for low carb recipes to make since Eric does not want to eat potatoes (tear), pasta (sob), or bread of any kind (ugly face cry) for dinner during the week, I stumbled on a few substitutes that seem to be versatile enough for me and low carb enough for him. The hardest part so far has been finding them in the grocery store.  I quickly crossed off any grocery store in our little town...they usually don't have regular items, much less specialty items...and headed straight for my favorite Publix in Montgomery.

What was I looking for?  Farro. Don't worry I'd never heard of it either until I came across the recipe on SkinnyTaste. I love love love the recipes on this site.  I have made several, including Bangin' Good Shrimp (tastes just like Bonefish Grill's Bang Bang Shrimp) and Chicken and Mushrooms in a Garlic White Wine Sauce, and I have yet to be disappointed. Farro is made out of the grains of certain types of wheat in its whole form.  Unfortunately I was unable to locate any Farro at Publix and even tried EarthFare, but came up empty handed. Instead of scrapping the recipe all together (I'd already purchased the rest of the ingredients), I decided I would substitute the farro for Quinoa.  I'd tried quinoa several times and purchased a some quinoa/rice pouches at Costco that we used instead of plan rice in burritos. EarthFare had plenty of it so I got some and headed to the house to make:


I followed this recipe from SkinnyTaste.com, but subtituted the quinoa for the farro.

Ingredients:
  • 1 1/2 cups cooked quinoa
  • 2 TBSP minced red onion
  • 1/4 cup minced sun-dried tomatoes (I used the ones you buy in the bag in the produce section--they were NOT packed in oil)
  • 1.4 cup fresh grated feta
  • 2/3 cup finely chopped cucumber
  • 1/4 cup finely chopped bell pepper
  • 1 Tbsp lemon juice
  • 1 Tbsp olive oil
  • 1 Tbsp finely chopped parsley or mint (I left this out because I did not have any fresh parsley and Eric does not like mine--I don't think it took away from it at all)
  • kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste
Directions:
Cook quinoa on the stove uncovered on med high heat for 15-20 mins. Cooking Ratio: 1 part quinoa: 2 parts water.  The quinoa is done when all of the water has boiled off (like rice).


While the quinoa is cooking chop/combine the rest of the ingredients in a serving bowl.

When the quinoa is done, pour it into the bowl with the other ingredients and mix until combined.

Refrigerate and enjoy chilled or at room temperature!

Looks delish!? Doesn't it?!

No comments: