Thursday, May 3, 2012

Flower Bed Photo Dump and a Sneaky Puppy

I realzed the other day that it's been a good month since I took some pics of my flowers.  And I had completely neglected taking any pics of my favorite little white flowers this year.  Since they are almost done blooming I headed out with my camera to get some pics of them and some of the new additions to my flower beds this year.

I spent 2 years trying to figure out the name of these and had a friends grandma tell me what they were last year, but sadly I have completely forgotten what they are called.  They grow on a tall shrub/tree like plant and they are extremely fragrant.  I just love them! 

My lantana is usually one of the last flowers to start blooming in the summer time, but they bloom all summer long which I love.  This year I already have several blooms on my plants.  

 I have about 7 different colored day lilies in my garden, and this is one of the newest additions that mom sent last fall.  It's a peachy/pink color with a bright yellow center.  I think they are absolutely gorgeous!

 Close up of my day lily.

 My irises came from my grandmother-in-law.  We transplanted them when she moved a couple of years ago. I never thought much about them because I remembered them as being jut plain white irises, nothing special.  For some reason this year I really noticed them for the first time.  Yes they are white on the top but the bottom petals are a peach color with yellow in the center.  They are really quite pretty.  

 I realized that irises are really hard to photograph because of their shape.  Without a 3 dimensional picture it's really hard to get the whole flower. 

I like to pretend that my gardens are pristine, but the truth is they are not.  We have a lovely patch of poison ivy growing on our pool fence. It used to be covered up by a large honeysuckle vine, but the hubs cut those out this year (they were not the honeysuckle vines that tasted good and they were out of control so I was ok with it), so all we have growing is poison ivy now.  I am too chicken to pull them out because I don't want to get poison ivy.  I have never had it even though I am almost positive I've been exposed to it and have never had a reaction, but my mother is HIGHLY allergic to it so I am steering clear of it.  Note to self--get some weed killer this weekend and knock this bad boy out. 

That is my garden round up for the week.  I realized this week that I am going to have to start watering my flowers everyday already.  We've had temps in the 90s for the past week with no rain and my flowers are looking very parched.  The only way to keep them from baking in the sun again this year will be daily watering.  

On another note I was going about my business this morning and I was about to walk out the door when I heard someone eating breakfast.  Since Peanut's last back episode, he has been on a diet, which means feeding Hawk and Peanut separately.  Not easy to do.  I was starting to think they had gotten used to separate bowls (in separate rooms no less).  I knew Peanut was in the bedroom still asleep because I had not heard him prance across the floor so I walked into the living room and saw this.


Yup.  That would be 85lb Hawk eating a the small scoop of food that was in Peanut's bowl this morning.  He did not want anything from his large bowl full of food, but thought he needed a "snack," I guess. I let him finish it because he was done in about 30 seconds with it, and put another scoop in the bowl for Peanut to eat when he got up. Next thing I know, Hawk has that one devoured too.  UGH!  I can't win with these two!  The big one wants to eat out of the small bowl and we still have to chase Peanut away from the big bowl.  No wonder Peanut tries to eat from Hawks' bowl, Hawk apparently helps himself to Peanut's food when we aren't looking.  I gave up and called hubs on my way to work and asked him to feed Peanut when they were both up. 

Happy Thursday! One more day til the weekend!

No comments: