We had a wedding shower for my BIL and FSIL this past weekend and it was soooo much fun! We had it at the same place where we had our wedding shower 2 years ago (has it really been that long?). We had a nice crowd and some delicious treats!
![]() |
| Aren't we cute? The Cagle boys know how to pick'em! |
I was in charge of decorating the place, which is a rectangular whiteish building. Talk about a blank slate, right? Of course I immediately went to pinterest for ideas. Their wedding colors are tans/mochas/off-whites, very elegant, and she LOVES some burlap so I knew I had to incorporate some into the decorations.
This was the front table when you walked in the building. I found the tulips @ Costco a few weeks before and KNEW I was going to use them for flowers for the shower. I was so glad they still had them the day before the shower. The vase is a mason jar covered with a piece of burlap that is tied at the top with a piece of string. The miniature lanterns were a Target dollar bin find. I tied a piece of ribbon around the top of each one and we stuck a candle down in them. I had about 20 so they were on all of the tables. The plate was our gift for them that I made with my Cricut. When Eric and I got married, someone gave us something similar to this and I absolutely love it! It still sits in a prominent place in our kitchen.
This was the gift table.I was super excited about how this turned out because it was the focal point of the whole room (aside from the delicious food!) The buntings were made out of burlap. I traced and cut the shapes and then made the letters with my Cricut and glue dotted them to the burlap.
Close up of the top one.
The rosette back drop was one of my favorite parts of the room. I helped a friend from work make some of these for a wedding shower she was decorating for a couple of months ago and decided they would be perfect for this, too! For the back drop I used a science fair display board (the tri-fold ones) and covered it with a piece of silky-feeling fabric I found in the scrap/returned fabric bin at Jo-Ann's (If you have never checked that bin out before I highly recommend it. All of the fabrics are 50% off/yard. They are already cut but if you just need random swatches they are fabulous!). The idea for the paper rosettes came from pinterest. I hot glued smaller rosettes to larger ones and then glued flowers that I made with a pack of flower pieces and some fancy brads in the middle. I did not want to put holes in my fabric, so I hot glued clear fishing line (yep, we're country) to the backs of the rosettes and strategically glued the other end of the fishing line to the back of the board, so they would hang where I wanted them to hang.
Our tablescapes were pretty simple. We had a white table cloth with champagne-colored drapes for table runners! They were tied at the middles and the ends to give them some shape. Then we put 2 burlap tulip vases, a couple of candle lanterns, pictures of the two of them and a little favor on the table.
We had another table off to the side for decoration. It had a box of it for guests to leave "Words of Wisdom" for the Bride and Groom. That table had a burlap vase, a beautiful fern and a pile of tissue paper flowers (that I have decided are one of the greatest simple decoration items ever!).
Apparently we were much more concerned with eating the food than taking pics of it (rightfully so), and the only pic we ended up with of the food was the absolutely incredible Banana Cream Cupcakes from Gigi's Cupcakes. According to their website the cupcake is a "Yellow cake with a vanilla filling, topped with banana buttercream frosting, crushed vanilla wafers and a wafer on top."
I am normally an if-it's-not-chocolate-it's-not-worth-it dessert kinda girl, but these cupcakes are seriously amazing. The bananas taste like straight bananas....yum.
My FSIL gave us the cutest hostess gifts, too. They were potted herbs with a cutting board. My basil and mint from last year did not come back so I was super excited about these!
The only drawback to the afternoon was the serious lack of AC in the building. I vaguely remembered it being warm at my shower but I guess I was too distracted to care then. We knew there was something going on that morning when we were setting it up because we cranked the air down to 50 to get it to cool off and when we came back that afternoon it was warmer than it was in the morning. We brought in some enormous fans (think the ones they use to cool down old gyms but about half that size and just as loud) that kept the air circulating but due to the fact that it was 90+ degrees in Alabama on Sunday it did not help much. I guess summer decided to show up this weekend.
Eric's Aunt and Uncle were in town for the shower and stayed with us, so we had zero down time, but we had an absolute blast! I am a huge fan of family get-together, and they are always extra special when it's family you don't get to see all the time. Hence the reason I absolutely LOVE get-togethers with my family!


No comments:
Post a Comment