Huntingdon College Athletics played a huge roll in Eric's and my lives and if it were not for athletics at Huntingdon we would certainly not be where we are today because we would have never met because neither one of us would have gone to school there. I wanted to play basketball some where when I graduated from high school and when the opportunity came up, I decided to visit the campus and had that this-is-where-I-am-supposed-to-be-for-the-next-4-years moment almost instantly. The girls that I played ball with are still some of my closest friends (and one will soon by my sister in law!).
 |
| This would be from my freshman year....almost 10 years ago...gah! |
 |
| The oldies @ the inagural Alumni Game. I love these girls! |
Eric's path to HC was a little different. He graduated from high school and had an opportunity to play football at a small Division 1 school in Montgomery. It did not work out for him the way he had hoped and he ended up taking a year off of school to join the Air Force. When he came back from basic training/tech school one of his his high school coaches told him that Huntingdon College was in the process of starting up a football team. They had just finished their inaugural season (which was dismal at best) and were looking to improve the program by a whole new staff of coaches. I sure am glad he decided to give it a chance!
 |
| D-Line Domination |
Needless to say, Huntingdon and the HC Athletic Dept holds a dear place in our hearts.
This past weekend was a big weekend for Huntingdon College Athletics. For the first time ever, both the baseball and the softball teams won their conference tournaments! They have both done it before but this is the first time they have both won in the same season! I have very fond memories of sitting on the truck tailgates behind center field (who sits in the stands to watch a baseball game?) watching baseball games, while the guys heckled the opposing teams' outfielders.
The other big thing to happen at HC this weekend was one of our
football players signed with the Atlanta Falcons as a free agent the day after the NFL draft. Yeah, you read that right....the NFL....as in the National Football League. I know some would say big deal, it happens all the time. But Huntingdon is a not an NCAA Division 1 school like the University of Alabama & Auburn University, or D2 like the University of Montevallo or UNA, or even NAIA like Auburn University Montgomery--they can at least give athletic scholarships. Huntingdon College is an itty bitty, about 1,000 student, NCAA Division III school that cannot give athletic scholarships. Oh and did I mention that our football program will turn 10 years old this upcoming season? Yeah....it's not been around too long. Having a football player from HC in the NFL is HUGE! I guess I will have to become a Falcon's Fan now and start watching some NFL!
Hawk Em!
No comments:
Post a Comment